Monday, November 02, 2009

Lavender Applesauce Cake Recipe

Here is a recipe that is getting a surprising amount of positive comments. Thought you'd like to try it out!


Lavender Applesauce Cake

3/8 C Veg. Oil
2 C sugar
2 eggs
2 1/2 C flour
1 1/2 tsp soda
1 tsp salt
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp allspice
1/2 C raisins
1 1/2 C applesauce
3 tsp lavender

Icing
6 TBL butter
1 TBL cream cheese
2 C Confectioner's sugar

Preheat oven to 350ยบ

Blend oil, sugar, eggs in food processor so they are smooth and fluffy.
Mix dry ingredients in separate bowl.

Add applesauce and raisins together with the sugar mixture into the dry ingredients, and mix by hand., just until they are all combined, don’t over mix.

Pour into a 9x13 greased pan (or sprayed with vegetable oil) and bake for about 45 minutes (time depends on the oven, keep checking after 45 minutes).

Cool in pan for 15 minutes, then take it out and finish cooling on a rack.

Use the last three ingredients in the list for the icing. Blend them in food processor until creamy smooth. Ice the cake after it has completely cooled. If you want an additional treat add 1 tsp of Lavender Extract to the icing. Yum!

We have the Culinary Lavender and the Lavender Extract for sale.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I got this via email from Dianna Purdy and thought it might make a good update to the recipe. Here's what she said:

I wanted to thank you for your fantastic recipes I picked up from you. I made the applesauce cake with a modification - I cut the sugar to about 3/4 c and then added a couple of tablespoons of honey to make about 1 cup of sugar-honey mix, then I cut the salt in half and I used organic whole wheat pastry flour instead of white flour. Also, I used 2 teaspoons of lavender. I did not frost the cake - I sprinkled it with powdered sugar. The cake turned out fantastic!! It was a real hit at our recent party and I had lots or requests for the recipe so I wanted to share my experiment with you. Also, I used a blender to blend the wet ingredients and I blended it really well until it was good and frothy, but I suppose you could use a hand mixer too.

I also made the Thyme - Lavender spread, but I used softened goat cheese in place of the cream cheese. It turned out fantastic too, nice and creamy and delicsious.

Sarah said...

And then Dianna added:

I just remembered that in the Applesauce Cake recipe I also used Organic sugar and Alfalfa Honey, and unsweetened applesauce. And in the Thyme-Lavender spread instead of regular soy sauce I used "Bragg's" soy all purpose liquid seasoning. It is a liquid same as soy sauce, it tastes like soy sauce but without any added salt, so it is greatly lower in sodium. It is made from soybeans and water - nothing else. It is made in the USA, so I am sure you will find it easily wherever you can buy organic or health foods.